This resource is designed to help children understand what they view, hear, and read. Research has conclusively shown that proficient readers use specific thinking strategies to unlock meaning and provide understanding (Pearson and Duke, 2002). Children are eager to find out what's in the world and how it works. We can draw on their curiosity and eagerness while helping them understand, remember, and apply what they read. Parents are in an ideal position to inspire a passion for reading and help their children become avid readers.
This course provides model lessons for each comprehension strategy being developed.
- Over 8.5 hours of video lessons
- 36 lessons, highlighting 8 comprehension strategies
- 36 review videos to accompany each lesson
- 92 documents provided in this course, these include documents for your child to use while practicing the strategy
- Support documents for parents and caregivers which explains the lesson, extends the lesson beyond the text used in the model and builds on the lessons provided, utilizing different recommended texts.
Monitoring Comprehension: 5 lessons, 5 review videos, 12 documents
Activating Schema: 3 lessons, 3 review videos, 7 documents
Making Connections: 4 lessons, 4 review videos, 11 documents
Asking Questions: 5 lessons, 5 review videos, 12 documents
Visualizing: 4 lessons, 4 review videos, 9 documents
Making Inferences: 5 lessons, 5 review videos, 15 documents
Determining Importances: 5 lessons, 5 review videos, 12 documents
Summarizing and Synthesizing: 5 lessons, 5 review videos, 14 documents
- Comprehend content and information that is viewed, heard and read
- Develop strategies to unlock meaning and provide understanding of any text
Children in grades K-3
The lessons should be used in sequence. Each lesson builds on prior lesson content and knowledge.
There is no prerequisite knowledge needed prior to beginning the course.